DUI Attorney West Palm Beach
Aggressive Defense for Driving Under the Influence Charges
If you were charged with a DUI, you could be facing serious penalties. Being convicted of the offense may result in driver's license suspension, fines, probation, and/or incarceration. Additionally, having a DUI on your criminal record can impact your ability to find a place to live or get a job, especially one that requires you to drive a company vehicle.
Our DUI lawyer in West Palm Beach at the Law Offices of Greg Rosenfeld, P.A., understands the lasting impacts of a DUI conviction.
To protect your rights and fight for your liberty, we will thoroughly prepare for your case, review all relevant information and reports, interview witnesses, and examine evidence. In doing so, we can identify weaknesses in the State’s case and build a strong defense on your behalf.
What Is a DUI in Florida?
Generally, a person may be charged with a DUI when he or she operates a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or any chemical or controlled substance.
Specifically, Florida Statute § 316.193 provides that a person commits the offense if he or she:
- Was in actual or physical control of a vehicle (note that this includes not only driving a car but also being on or near it and having the capability to operate it); and
- Had a blood- or breath-alcohol concentration of .08 or more; or
- Was under the influence of alcohol or a chemical or controlled substance to the extent that his or her normal faculties were impaired. Generally, impairment of faculties means that the ability to perform mental and physical functions, such as seeing and talking, was diminished in some material respect because of the consumption of alcohol or drugs.
What Are the Penalties for a DUI in Florida?
If the prosecutor can prove all elements of a DUI offense beyond a reasonable doubt, the defendant may be subject to various penalties.
The punishments depend on several factors:
- If a driver is convicted of his or her first DUI, penalties include:
- A fine between $500 and $1,000;
- Up to 6 months in jail;
- Up to 12 months of probation;
- Driver's license suspension for a minimum of 6 months and a maximum of 12 months;
- 10-day vehicle immobilization;
- 50 hours of community service; and
- DUI School and completion of any recommended treatment.
- If the driver caused an accident resulting in damage to property or injury to a person, he or she may face:
- First-degree misdemeanor charge
- Up to 1 year in jail
- Up to $1,000 in fines
- If serious bodily injury resulted from a DUI accident, the offense is a third-degree felony, punishable by:
- Up to 5 years in prison
- Up to $5,000 in fines
- If death occurred because of an accident caused by a drunk driver, the individual may be charged with a second-degree felony and face:
- Up to 15 years in prison
- Up to $10,000 in fines
- Permanent driver’s license revocation
- If the driver had an alcohol concentration of .15 or higher or there was a minor in the car at the time of the offense, he or she could face:
- Up to 9 months in jail
- Between $1,000 and $2,000 in fines
- Installation of ignition interlock in driver’s vehicle for 6 to 12 months
Our West Palm Beach DUI attorney knows that being charged with a DUI can be a frightening, stressful, and burdensome experience.
That is why our firm will be on your side from the beginning of the process to its conclusion. We have extensive experience handling these types of cases. We are here to answer your questions and help you understand what to expect.
We will provide sound legal advice, guidance, and representation for matters involving:
"I found Greg Rosenfeld to be an experienced, aggressive compassionate defense attorney. I hired Mr. Rosenfeld to defend my daughter in a criminal case. I have hired other attorneys in the past and have found that most attorneys are attentive and engaged up until the moment they are paid.
We had the opposite experience with Mr. Rosenfeld who stayed in constant communication, worked harder than any lawyer I've met and got results that far exceeded our expectations. He kept fighting when most would have given up. I think very highly of him both as a person and as Criminal Law Defense Attorney." - Joy
Aggressive DUI Defense Strategies in West Palm Beach
Often, DUIs are charged as misdemeanor or felony offenses and could result in high fines, lengthy periods of probation, and/or jail time. Additionally, you could face increased insurance rates and a loss of your driving privileges. The ramifications are long-lasting, possibly leading to financial hardships and difficulties keeping or getting a job.
If you were charged with DUI, our firm can help you aggressively challenge the accusations. Our West Palm Beach DUI lawyer will work relentlessly to uncover the facts and identify holes in the prosecutor's case.
How Long Does a DUI Stay on Your Record in Florida?
If you're convicted of a DUI in the state of Florida, it will remain on your criminal record for 75 years. It is not possible to have this information sealed or expunged. That's why it's important to contact a defense lawyer as soon as possible to avoid having this on your permanent record.
How Many Points Is a DUI in Florida?
Getting a DUI in Florida will not result in points on your driver’s license. However, if you’re convicted, your driving privileges may be suspended. If we're able to reduce your charge to reckless driving, you'll receive 4 points on your license. Points remain for 3 years. While accruing additional points for other infractions may result in driver’s license suspension after reaching 12 points in 1 year, a DUI will typically result in an automatic suspension.
How Long Is Your Driver’s License Suspended After a DUI in Florida?
If this is your first DUI offense, your driver’s license may be suspended for 180 days to 1 year. A second offense within 5 years can result in a 5-year driver’s license suspension. A third offense within 10 years can result in a 10-year suspension.
Contact the Law Offices of Greg Rosenfeld, P.A. Today!
If you've been arrested for a DUI, reach out to our DUI lawyer in West Palm Beach as soon as possible. Getting started on these matters right away is imperative for building a solid legal strategy to fight the charge. Backed by years of experience, our lawyer obtained acquittals and case dismissals for past clients, and we're ready to seek a favorable outcome on your behalf.
At the Law Offices of Greg Rosenfeld, P.A., we offer the trial-tested DUI defense that you can count on. Contact us today for your FREE consultation!